Winter is Here

Winter Scarlet born March 13, 2012 at 3:03pm. She’s healthy and perfect in every way.

How to profit from binary options alerts Here’s my short and sweet birth story:


Around 36 weeks the midwives did a growth scan as I was measuring fairly large. We learned that baby girl was going to weigh between 8-9.5lbs and also that I had too much amniotic fluid. I then had to go twice a week for fetal non stress tests to monitor the baby and the fluid. Around 38 weeks I learned that the placenta was calcifying. By 40 weeks my fluid levels returned to normal fortunately however I was not dilated at all! I intended to do a VBAC with this baby assuming I went into labor on my own on or before 41 weeks. Well that didn’t happen and I wasn’t going to go through an induction as pitocin is very strenuous on the uterus and I didn’t want to risk uterine rupture or placental abruption since it was already calcifying. So at the advice from several OB’s, several midwives who all reviewed my case from my first c-section and this pregnancy decided it would be the safest option for me to do a repeat section.  I picked a date, the 13th, exactly 2 1/2 years after Willow was born. If I didn’t go into labor by then then it was a repeat section for me. The 12th I had a preop appointment where they said baby girl was between 8 1/2 to 9 1/2lbs, was in the low transverse position (head down looking sideways) and still had zero effacement and dilation. I’m pretty sure Winter would have stayed put forever.

Willow spent the night at my mom’s the night before and gave me and the hubs some time to collect ourselves and spend some quality time together reflecting on the changes that we’re about to experience. That was a nice moment. We got to the hospital at 8am and were scheduled for a 10am delivery. It was all so surreal with the prepping, paperwork, and ease of everything. The girl sharing the preop room with me was scheduled before me. She walked to the OR and an hour later was wheeled back in a bed holding her baby! That was just completely weird to me. They came to me and said that a laboring mom had to have an  emergency section so my delivery got pushed back. Out wheeled my first roommate and in came the girl with the e-section with her new baby. I was so anxious at this point and the anticipation was killing me. I remained calm though. Finally my turn was here. It was about 2pm. I left Phil to get prepped for surgery while he put on his scrubs.

I walked in, sat on the operating table. I was alone as they didn’t want husbands in until the epidural was placed and the privacy curtain drawn. It was cold, as if penguins could occupy the place. I was shaking.   They placed the epidural and my charge nurse held my hand and let me squeeze as they poked me.  At the prospects of knowing in just a few minutes I’d be hearing a baby cry, in just a few minutes my body would undergo a major surgery, in just a few minutes there was no way for me to turn back and have a vbac, in just a few minutes i’d be a family of four, I started to cry once they laid me down. Finally my husband was at my side. He held my hand, stroked my head and all was right in the world again. He is my rock in this storm. And minutes later they said, “You’re going to feel some pressure”. I felt as if my soul was being ripped out with the weight of an elephant on my chest and then the sensation quickly faded as I heard the beautiful cry of my second daughter. She was a lot louder than Willow was. She continued to cry as they cleaned her up. My husband quickly went over and stayed at her side while they were closing me up. Of course, flooded with emotion, we both had tears of joy. After he cut the cord he brought her over for me to see.

I wheeled into recovery and everything was calm and I had zero exhaustion like I did during Willow’s labor/delivery. This is what multiple c-section mom’s kept telling me, that everything would be so easy, especially recovery since I didn’t have a trial of labor.  Winter latched right on. All I could do is stare at her and get mesmerized all over again. My legs were paralyzed for about four hours before feeling slowly crept back in. The itch as common after a spinal was incredible, but fortunately for me it was mainly inside my nostrils! Needless to say I had the cleanest nose in town after that.

The next day my dad, step mom, sister, mom and daughter came to visit us. We took a video of Willow meeting her sister for the first time. It was so magical how completely enthralled Willow was to meet her sister. At 2 1/2 you don’t expect them to really understand, but she DID!

I held both my girls for the first time that day too. It was so special and emotional. I was in love twice as much as before.

Finally the next day, just 44 hours after major surgery, we went home. I don’t much care for hospitals. And my recovery according to the nurses was miraculous. I took only a few ibuprofin and zero narcotic pain killers. They were amazed.

Home at last. And that’s it. Our little family is complete….maybe?

Between day 7 and 10 I took Winter’s newborn photos and some sibling photos.


No tags for this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *